Thursday, July 7, 2011

Roommates

I have lived on my own now since I was 22 almost 23. I have learned quite a few things in this time. I have lived in 2 different places with many different people. I am now in the process of looking for a different location and this is where this post comes from. Here is a little back story of my experiences whilst I have been abroad so to speak.

I was out with one of my best friends Taylor and his lady friend at the time grabbing a movie and some food to take back to his place that he had been living at we were talking about me wanting to get out of my parents house and how I was looking for a place to live and how much is SUCKED looking for somewhere. He was the like "hey my cousin is moving out soon, could take his room"! I was like serious? That would be tight. So he sent me the info of rent and utilities and such. I was going to be paying around 400 bucks a month o so for everything. Not too bad. I had just started doing really well at my job and figured I could do that much a month and still cover all my bills. So the day I was able to move in was that weekend. Before I was to move in I got a chance to hang out with Taylor and the other guy living there Sam at a pool party with some of the girls at their complex. It was a blast we played basketball in the pool, which in all reality was rugby with a basketball. I left with scratches all over my back and some on my face from vicious attacks on my life to get the ball away. It was pretty much awesome. Getting to know Sam was pretty sweet. He seemed like a great guy, so needless to say I was pretty stoked to be moving in. On move in day, I pretty much after work put all my stuff in suitcases and then in my car that I wanted to take with me. I think it took me like 3 trips. Not too shabby. Sam was there chilling with some friends and helped me move up. I got settled in and all ready to live there. Went out to Walmart that night with Sam and basically spent 150 bucks on things I may o may not have needed to live there. The next day was Saturday and I was awakened by Sam coming into my room slapping me on the face and saying welcome to the apartment bitch...way funny. So the next morning I ran from the front door to his room and jumped from the door way and landed on him while he was a sleep, said thanks for the welcome and ran away.

Living at Lakeridge Condos was actually a really interesting experience for many reasons. I was suddenly thrown into the single kid college student life right away. On just our little complex there was tons of students all who came to welcome me right away. Within a week of living there maybe two, I had already fallen for one of the girls in our complex. Ok actually right across the hall from us. It all started one day when they her and a friend came over to invite us to the weekly fhe that they have there. Every week it was at a different person in the wards apartment. The two girls that came over were Josie and Jessica I think. Josie smiled handed us the card and was like you guys should come. Now Taylor was usually at work out of town all week at the job site and Sam wasn't a member so I was pretty much the only one that would go. I decided since Josie was pretty dang cute that I would go. I showed up we played cards talked and I flirted with her the whole night. She was dating someone at the time I found out, but she apparently didn't want to be cause when I was told she was, she overheard and said yeah unfortunately I am dating someone. Which basically was my go ahead to take a step back watch that relationship unfold before I made a move. I did and after being pelted repeatedly with water balloons after work we started dating. She was pretty awesome and we had a great time, till she had to move back home for financial issues and probably wouldn't be coming back. Sad day. Now she is engaged and doing well. So that was the first couple months of living there. Sam was only there temporary while he finished school at the college of Massage. Can I just tell you how awesome it is to have a roommate that does that? Even if it's a guy all the free massages that you get are basically the best thing ever. So he was going to be moving out at the end of the summer. Taylor decided to move back home to save up some money and we had gotten another roommate whose name we will keep as Jafar, because he was basically horrible. Never paid rent, had sex with his girlfriend all the time...weird......Sam moved out a couple weeks after Taylor did and we had a sad moment....missed living with him. We had WAY too much fun as roomies. Within the next 6 months we went through 4 different roommates..all but one were total morons....John was a great guy had a ton of fun with him in the place...not so much his son that would come over every now and then, but John himself was a great guy. The other roommates pretty much never paid rent, got some of my stuff confiscated o had huge legal issues that we had no idea about. Taylor then decided to give the lease back to the owner of the condo and he was a retard as well so John and I decided it was time to find a new place.

I started looking around for somewhere knew but as stated above it SUCKS looking for a new place. Takes way too much time to find anything. Then you have to go through all the application process and fees and all that crap before you can get anywhere with the place. I also had animals that I'm never too keen on getting rid of, so I had to find a place that would allow them as well. It actually only took me a few days to find a place to live this time around. I looked on KSL and everything basically cost too much for what I wanted to pay at the moment. Not that I couldn't afford it, I just didn't want to have to afford it. Also not a lot of places allow animals around here. Not even ones that are as well taken care of as the ones that I have. Oh well. So I had basically given up on looking when I came into work one day and saw on facebook that a guy I had met once was offering up a room in his 2 story house for only 300 bucks a month. Yeah I jumped on that one right away. Wrote him an email, talked for a bit on chat and set up a time to come over and give the place a look. He was wanting to get the place back to church standards and was planning on evicting the two girls that lived there with them. Ok sounded good to me. Showed me my room and I looked around the house. It was a pretty cool place and I decided that it was gonna work for me. Plus it was only gonna cost me 600 bucks to get into the whole thing. Yeah pretty much in love. Little did I know how much of a horror show the place was going to be.....

Over the course of the next 2 days and with some help of a couple friends I got all my stuff moved into the place. Most of it was all pretty easy...the hardest parts were Actually the fish tank and the geckos. Not a big surprise there. I didn't actually take the fish out. Just lowered the water down just enough that the big ones could swim around but low enough that it was easyish to actually carry around. It still really wasn't but oh well. I got all my stuff taken care of within about a week o so, met the rest of my roommates and started my journey through the house of stupidity for the next 6 and a half months. It all started out great, they were great the house was great and it was good fun. Then one night the ceiling started leaking on my head. I mentioned to the lease guy that the roof leaks and he was like "oh yeah the girl that lived in there said the same thing. I will look into it". Well what was meant by that was this. I will continue to take baths at 2 in the morning when you are trying to sleep and I don't really care what happens to your head o bed. So I bought some stuff to put over the hole that I saw and that worked for about a week. Then new holes showed up. Mentioned it to him again and got the same response. So one night about a week ago when my bed once again at this time 3 in the morning was leaking everywhere I got kind of mad. I ran upstairs with the other roommate and we banged on the bathroom door. Guess what? He was asleep in the bath tub. OH GREAT. Went downstairs and decided to just try and go to sleep. Yeah that worked for about 5 seconds. Ran back upstairs and pounded on the door till he woke up. Told him to that it was way too late for him to be a jerk and disregard what I had been saying for months about the bath tub leaking on my head and asked him to stop. He got out it leaked for a bit longer then stopped. Hasn't happened again since. YAY. It gets better from there though. Last week was the 4th of July weekend. Was looking forward to kinda sleeping in that Saturday because it had been a crazy week at work. Was woken up around 8 because some people were yelling outside my door. Went out and was told that we had a week to find somewhere new to live. Totally confused at this point...Went out to the front door and the lease man was just walking around freaking out. Here's the story. He had been making a movie in our front yard and living room for about the past 2 months. Totally sucked mainly because there was almost nowhere to sit in our house because of all the supplies and props he had all over the place. The movie was a zombie apocalypse so he had to trash our front yard to make it look like a apocalypse. This man never cleans anything up after he is done with it all. So our front yard looked awful for a couple weeks even after he finished the movie. So basically our yard looked like a waste dump for a couple weeks. Just so happens that the say before he was planning on cleaning it all up(he gets in modes like this once every few months.) our landlord showed up. Saw the place, freaked out and basically told us we had 3 days to a week to find a new place to live. REALLY? because of one persons mistakes it kills us all. So we were all in panic mode for a few hours. Our good old buddy Mr. Lease freaked out and wanted to clean the whole place up. I had nothing to do that morning and couldn't think of anywhere to go so once again we all helped him do something he should of done weeks ago. He always managed to get us to clean up his messes every time. Weird...

So with the prospect of being kicked out of my house on the 4th of July I started looking for a new place to live. Remember how I said that part SUCKS? Yeah this time around wasn't very much better. It's hard to find a new place to live during the middle of the summer. So needless to say I was kind of freaking out. Looking at not having a place to live in the next few days Isn't the best feeling in the world. It's kinda scary actually. Sure I could of moved home till I found somewhere, but I wasn't really looking to that as an option. I don't have a room anymore at home and what was once my room has all of my youngest sisters stuff in it because they redid her room. So it would of been a huge pain to get it all in there just for a few weeks o however long it took me to find somewhere. I have a friend that I had been talking to about moving out for a while and she offered me a room in her place and I was about ready to take that offer. I had found a few places but upon looking at them realized that they were either, not worth what they people were asking o didn't allow animals. Now I realize a lot of people would gladly give up a fish tank and return a couple lizards. This is something I really would never do. I have invested a lot of time and money into these and I'm not willing to get rid of them just to find a decent place to live. Sorry. I found 2 places that were ok with animals and ran to go check them out. One wanted 800 bucks a month and the other wanted 675. Both of these places had utilities included in the rent price, both were roughly the same size and both were basement apartments. The first one is on center street in Orem. Really nice location, right next to the freeway. When I drove up to it the house looked kinda small and I was curious as to they fit a 1050sft place in the basement. Maybe it went farther out then the house did. Knocked on the front door and met the girl that was leasing out the place. Her name is Clarissa and she lives upstairs with her husband. She took me downstairs to the place. It has an outside entrance, so I wont be bugging them trying to get into the place which I really wanted and liked. Once we got down there the place was pretty big and really nice. A lot of places to store stuff, 2 rooms and they were both good size as well. The bathroom was good size and really nice. The kitchen had all fairly new appliances and was built pretty good. All in all it was a really nice place for someone to stay like myself. Even more I was planning on staying there by myself...Which contrary to a lot of people I can't wait for! I fell in love with the place and was looking forward to filling out the paper work to apply for it. Got that all figured out and went home hoping I would be getting a call back soon telling me I can move right in! A few days had gone by and I saw the listing for the place that was 675. So I decided hey why not it's 125 bucks cheaper for the same kinda thing. Utilities included a basement place and allowed animals. It was a little smaller at 990sqft but it seemed from the pictures to be well set up. So I called the owners and set up a time to go check it out. I got there a little early, so I decided to just chill on the street in my car playing Oregon Trail till my turn came. Between the 5 minutes I had to wait 2 more couples came and went. This place must be popular I thought. My turn came to check out the place and from the moment I met the owner I wasn't super feeling good about it all. She took me downstairs and while yeah it was an ok place, it didn't come close to matching up with the place I had looked at the day before. So I took the rest of the tour and there was a few things I didn't like about it. Mainly the fact that there was no door separating their part of the house from the basement apartment. It was just stairs down to the basement. The place wasn't nearly as nice either. Rooms were a lot smaller and it was way too dark. Yes it is a basement, but even with the lights they had it wasn't very light. So I didn't look too long. Asked some questions and filled out a form just in case the one I really wanted didn't end up working out. I didn't want to live there, but it was one of 3 places I had found that allowed animals. The other one wanted a 300 deposit just for the critters and an extra 150 a month, there was no way I was gonna live there. So I filled out the application and just hoped that the nice place I liked was gonna call as I left.

The days went buy and things at the house I'm living at kinda took a totally different turn. I was told last I think Wednesday that a letter was written to the owners and they had now given us 3 months to find a new place, and most likely we could just stay there as long as we wanted to now and weren't being rushed out. The other 2 roomies had found a place to go already and had signed for that one and were planning on slowly moving stuff out by the end of July so at that time I would pretty much have the house to myself for a little while at least. So now I felt better about having to find a place so soon. I had some more time if none of these places worked out. I still was looking though, cause to be honest I don't wanna be in this house much longer. Friday hit and I was kinda getting worried. Most places call back within a couple days and I hadn't heard anything for a few days. So I was kinda preparing for the worst. That afternoon though I got a call from Clarissa saying that they wanted to offer me the apartment! I was so stoked! I told them yes and we met on Saturday to take a tour of the place again and sign all the contract and leasing info. I feel kinda bad though, cause that night I was also offered the other place and had to turn them down. It was a nice place for another person o family, but not me. So I'm really glad I was offered the nice one before the other family called me. I move out of my place on Tuesday and I now have my own apartment. No roommates, no random messes that get in my way. No annoying people over when I want to just hang out by myself. I can do what I want, when I want and it is going to be amazing! Can't wait till tomorrow to get everything going with this place. Time to move all the animals again....oh Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment