Monday, March 28, 2011

Festival of Colors!

This weekend was pretty fun, Friday I can't remember what we did, but I'm sure it was a lot of fun. Oh wait I remember we watched 300 and ate lots of food. Saturday I didn't get to sleep in because I had an audition that morning down in Spanish Fork, and I had to be there around 9. So I woke up the latest possible that I could which was like 830 lol and headed down there. To be honest I had no idea what to expect when I got there, I haven't been called back for a show for a while and it kinda sucked, so I was hoping that things would start to change. The show is Hairspray and while I really have no interest in the show a few really good friends auditioned the week before and wanted me to join in with them if we all made it. So I figured I might as well, since I haven't done a show since last August anyways. I walked in got stuff ready noticed that most of the people there were like still in Junior High and High School, so it was interesting. My friends showed up and the nerves were calmed down and we just started joking around. There was quite a few people that hadn't auditioned yet and we were all given a number and were told to wait. I was number 144 which basically meant that I had to wait forever. So we just goofed around and talked with people. My number was called and I walked into the room and set my ipod up so I could have the music for the song I was singing. The director and his aid looked up at me and was like how do we know you? They looked at my resume and I guess they have seen me in a few of my shows. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, We will see lol. So I sang my song, which I thought went really well and we waited to see if I got called back o not. They called everyone that they had previously called back for Corny Collins and called my name! I was stoked but also kinda freaked because that role required some pretty high singing which I can't do very well yet. We went through the call back parts of the day. I could tell Corny wasn't going to be in my future. Not cause I didn't do a good job at the callbacks, but because he just sang way too high for me. So I was just gonna be happy with whatever I got. Midway through the callbacks though I had to leave to met up with the group at my place to head on over to the Festival of Colors. None of them had ever been before and I was looking forward to taking them all. We drove down got a parking spot about a billion miles away and started walking. The walk to the Palace is almost as fun as the actually festival itself. They do chalk throws every couple of hours and there are people walking back all covered in chalk and there are those of us who haven't gone yet that are all nice and white..Well it's the goal of the people that are all colored up to attack those of us who are not with color. So you are readily hugged and handled and all sorts of things by members of your opposite sex. I quite enjoy it. Tay vowed to not get touched till he got through the gate and did very well until right up at the gate where he got nailed by a group of girls that chased him and I. We got into the palace area and tis a pretty awesome sight, thousands of people everywhere that are covered o not covered in an array of different colors. People are crowd surfing each other(usually girls) they are walking around hugging everyone O just throwing color at anyone that walks by. They have a band and a preacher at the front talking and playing music. Pretty funny to watch. There are all sorts of people at these things. One of my favorites of the day was a mom with her little 4 year old girl. She was walking around picking up chalk off the ground and throwing it at peoples legs as her mom drug her by. She stopped at us and I had an extra bag of pink chalk, so I gave it to her. After throwing some in my face she thanked me and walked off. It was awesome. Then every couple hours on the dot they do a countdown. When they get to ten they sky goes from nice and blue(o rainy, however it was for you) to a dark array of many combined colors. Also you can't really breathe at all. I love it! After that you are basically done unless you are staying for the whole day so you start the long walk back with all the new friends that you made along the journey. Also it is now your turn to tackle and hug everyone from the opposite sex of you with your chalked body. I love that part.

We got back to the car and headed home, the whole while passing people that are multi colored like we were. Tay and I decided to start dancing and sticking our heads out the window as yes I drove. Great fun it was. The car next to us pulled up close opened their window and started hanging out with us. We kept up a good game of cat and mouse the whole way up back to Provo. I guess the girl in the front seat liked my actions a lot because right before we pulled off, her car pulled up next to me and she was holding a piece of paper out the window. So I pulled as close as I could grabbed the paper. It was her phone number, super stoked there. Dropped the guys and girls off at my house and took a shower, we planned on meeting up later for a dinner movie night. One of my favorite parts of the festival is watching the water in the shower be constantly purple o black for about 30 minutes while the color just comes off your body. I had color in my hair from dying it for about 4 weeks. What a blast! Can't wait till next year comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment