Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4

Today is your favorite book.....Well since I don't really read that much don't have much to put here...I'm reading a book about a British Archer right now and so far so good...

I love Calvin and Hobbes...one of the best ever written..also I'm pretty sure he stole my life story..except my stuffed buddy was a bear instead of a tiger, but I took him everywhere with me. My mom also is certain that the writer stole my life story as well..

I guess a book that I have always really liked, I read back in six grade..I liked it so much that I actually went out and bought it after we finished reading it..scary I know...But it's called The Devils Arithmetic. The book is about WWII and I love stuff about that so I was excited to read it in class. It starts out with a Jewish family heading over to their grandparents to have the Passover dinner. The little boy is excited cause he gets to be a part of it and the daughter who was asked to say the prayer that would invite in the guy it does(I can't remember) she isn't so happy and doesn't understand why they do this every year..So they all sit down at the table and get ready for the meal, waiting for grandpa who is yelling at the T.V. showing off his number on his arm. Well he finally goes through it all comes to the table and the things starts. Time comes for her to go open the door and let the priest in, but when she gets to the door she sees a totally different picture then she thought. She is kinda confused but her, aunt comes up and grabs her and starts talking to her..She has stepped into the past and is back in the time of the holocuast. When the Germans come to take them away, she knows exactly what they are doing and tries to tell everyone that she is from the future and to look out. No one listens and as the book goes on she starts to forget that she knows what they plan to do. She just goes through every day life in the camps and the story ends with her taking the place of her friend and going to the gas chamber..where she wakes up and is back in the front door waiting for him to come in...her grandpa asking what she is doing and wanting her to come back to the table for dinner. It's a really powerful book and kinda opened me up to what they did to people. It's a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment